It is the mission of the Fire Marshal's Office to prevent and/or reduce the incidence of fire by increasing the awareness and knowledge of the residents and businesses respecting fire safety, and by ensuring compliance with the Connecticut Fire Safety Code and applicable regulations of the State of Connecticut.
This mission will be accomplished through fire prevention education, fire investigations and compliance inspections. We will actively participate with our community, serve as role models, and strive to effectively and efficiently utilize all resources made available, to provide safety and excellent customer service to the citizens of the town of Rocky Hill, Connecticut, as well as those who are it's visitors.
Additional duties imposed by the Connecticut General Statutes include the following:
- Inspect all buildings and facilities of public service, business, assembly, education, health care, multi family housing and other occupancies regulated by the Connecticut State Fire Safety Code.
- Issue permits for the use, transportation and storage of explosives in compliance with State Explosives Regulations.
- Inspect all tents and portable structures for compliance with the Connecticut Fire Safety Regulations.
- Conduct review of plans and specifications for various occupancies and facilities being proposed within the town for compliance with the Connecticut Fire Safety Regulations.
- Attend schools and seminars to keep abreast of the codes, regulations and new technology.
- Inspect and enforce the Connecticut regulations concerning storage, use and transportation of liquefied petroleum gas and liquefied natural gas
- Inspect and supervise all fireworks and special effects displays for compliance with applicable State legislation.
- Maintain 90 hours of continuing education credit over three year period.