Veteran's Discharges

Tax Exception for Veterans

Veterans who have been discharged from service should file their discharge papers, also known as DD214, with the Town Clerk by September 30th. This allows them to become eligible for a tax exemption  (see Assessor’s office tax relief). The discharge papers must have the following:

  • Dates of entry and discharge from service
  • Character of Service (honorable)

Veterans who don’t have a copy of their discharge papers can request them from the National Personnel Records Center on their website at A letter from the VA that lists the required information from above can also be filed.

Moving Between Towns

Veterans must file their DD214 papers in the town they want an exemption in. If you moved from another town to Rocky Hill, file your DD214 with the Rocky Hill Town Clerk.