Assistance Programs

Energy Assistance

The Human Services Department acts as an emergency intake site for energy assistance during the winter season. Most applications are done during an Energy Blitz that is scheduled in the Human Services Department with Community Renewal Team (CRT) certifiers on a set date; applications not done that day that are non-emergency are done by calling CRT directly at 860-560-5800.

Document proof requirements can be found on the CRT website. Eligible applicants receive direct payments to their heating vendor to help reduce the burden of heating their homes through the winter.

Operation Fuel

Human Services Staff process local applications on behalf of Operation Fuel, which is a non-profit statewide organization that helps people in financial crises who may not be eligible for government assistance programs or have exhausted their state benefits and find themselves still requiring additional assistance with heat and utility costs. Income documentation is required to apply.

Food Bank

Residents facing financial difficulty may receive an assortment of non-perishable food items every 3 weeks, with emergency exceptions available, when needed. You will need to show proof of income and residency (i.e. current lease, mortgage statement or utility bill).

If you have on-going food needs due to limited income, we urge you to also apply for Food Stamps with the Department of Social Services:

  • Location: 673 Old Main Street (Kennedy House - next to the Human Services office)
  • Phone: 860-258-2799
  • Hours: Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from 9 am to 4 pm

Holiday Programs

The Human Services Department distributes holiday food baskets during November and December to individuals and families in need. Baskets, which include gift cards to buy fresh food, for the holidays are available outside normal food pantry usage.

In addition, during the month of December, an Adopt-A-Family Program is sponsored to insure that all disadvantaged children within the community have gifts for the holiday season.

Renters Rebate / Tax Relief

Applications may be completed for the State of Connecticut's rebate program for elderly and/or disabled renters. Residents who pay rent, and meet income guidelines may be eligible to receive a financial rebate from the state.

Salvation Army Back to School

As back to school approaches our department sponsors a Back-to-School Program, with the help of our generous donors, including the Salvation Army. We distribute back to school supplies, backpacks, and gift cards to help our families with the costs associated with getting their minor children ready for the upcoming school season.