Hover board — part toy, part transportation. These self-balancing scooters have quickly become the latest fad. However, many hover boards have been linked to fires. Hover boards are fairly new to the mass market. Be on the lookout for updates from manufacturers and safety groups. NFPA urges you to be fire safe when using these devices.
If you purchase a hover board keep these tips in mind:
- Choose a device with the seal of an independent testing laboratory.
- Read and follow all manufacturer directions. If you do not understand the directions, ask for help.
- An adult should be responsible for charging the hover board.
- Do not leave a charging hover board unattended.
- Never leave the hover board plugged in overnight.
- Only use the charging cord that came with the hover board.
- Stop using your hover board if it overheats.
- Extreme hot or cold temperature can hurt the battery.