Can I pay more than one tax bill with one check?
Yes, you may pay all bills with one check; reference all bill numbers on the check.
How can I avoid receiving a penalty?
- To avoid a penalty, payment must be federally postmarked, hand delivered, or made online on or before the installment due dates of August 1st or February 1st. Payments made after the installment due dates will incur interest at the rate of 1.5% per month from the original due date. Therefore, interest accrued in August is 3% (1.5% for July and 1.5% for August) and interest accrued in February for second installment payments and supplemental motor vehicle bills is 3% (1.5% for January and 1.5% for February).
How is a receipt obtained?
Print a copy of your payment history on line. From the Tax Office web page, select "Look Up My Tax Info." Payments are reflected on-line one business day after being posted in the tax office.
If you are mailing payment and would like a receipt by return mail, enclose entire bill with a self-addressed stamped envelope. A receipt will be returned to you.
If paying in person, a receipt will be provided to you upon payment.
At any time you may call the tax office at 860-258-2717 and request a receipt to be mailed out to you.
If I received a tax bill for my property and my bank is responsible for making payment, what should I do?
Forward your bill to the bank. Then ask your bank to contact the tax office to request that all future tax bills be sent directly to them.
Is there tax relief for the elderly?
If you are over the age of 65 and meet income limits set by the State of CT, you may be eligible for future tax relief. Visit the the Assessor's Office webpage for information. The application period is between February 1st and May 15th.
Is there tax relief for veterans?
What are the ways I can pay my tax bill?
- Pay by electronic check or by debit/credit card online. There is a convenience fee for a credit/debit card of 2.50% of the transaction amount. There is no fee for paying by electronic check. Convenience fees are nonrefundable.
Option 2: Mail payment in the enclosed return envelope.
Option 3: Payments can be placed in the Town Hall drop box. The drop box is located at the main entrance to Town Hall. Payments must be received by midnight of the due date. No cash payments are accepted in the drop box
Option 4: Paying in person: There can be long lines in the tax office during collection months. For fastest service when paying in person, have your tax bill with you and your check filled out. Write your bill number(s) on your check. You may also "drop off" payments at the tax office drop box located at the door of the main entrance to the Town Hall.
What is the current mill rate?
- The mill rate for the 2018 Grand List is 32.5 (pertains to taxes due July 1, 2019 and January 1, 2020).
- The mill rate for the 2017 Grand List is 32.4 (pertains to taxes due July 1, 2018 and January 1, 2019).
What period of time does my bill cover?
- Motor vehicle tax bills are due on July 1 and are for vehicles registered as of October 1st of the previous year. They cover the period of October 1st through September 30th. ( ex: the tax bill due 07/01/19 covers the period of 10/01/18 thru 09/30/2019)
- Supplemental motor vehicle bills are due on January 1st and cover the month of registration through September. (Ex: a new car is registered 11/2018. The bill is due 01/01/2020 and covers 11/2018 through 09/2019.)
- Real Estate taxes are billed in two installments. The first installment is due July 1st and covers the period of July 1st through December 31st. The second installment is due January 1st and covers the period of January 1st through June 30th.
- Business Personal Property taxes are billed in two installments unless the total bill is $300.00 or less for the year. The first installment is due July 1st and the second installment is due January 1st. The bills are based on the assessment as of October 1st of the previous year and are never prorated.
When is my tax payment due?
First installment tax bills are due on July 1, 2019. You have a one-month grace period. The last day to pay without interest or penalty is Thursday, August 1, 2019.
Second installment tax bills are due on January 1, 2020. You have a one-month grace period. The last day to pay without interest or penalty is Monday, February 3rd, 2020.
How can I obtain my payment history for income tax purposes?
- Print a copy of your payment history on line. From the Tax Office web page, select "Look Up My Tax Info." Payments are reflected on-line one business day after being posted in the tax office.
- Call the tax office at 860-258-2717 to have a printout emailed, faxed, or mailed to you.
- Visit the Tax Collector’s office in person to obtain a printout of your payment history.