Street Excavation Permit

All work performed within the Town of Rocky Hill right-of-way requires a Street Excavation Permit issued by the Engineering Department. This includes work performed by every entity (contractor, utility, resident) with the exception of the Town Highway and Parks departments. Permits may be obtained at the Town of Rocky Hill Engineering Department, 761 Old Main Street, Room 219. A copy of the permit and bond form is available for download.

All contractors performing work within the Town of Rocky Hill rights-of-way shall be licensed and insured and post a bond. The original certificates of such insurance and bond shall be filed with the Engineering Department and shall be subject to the approval of the Town for adequacy of protection. The certificate must name "The Town of Rocky Hill" as and additional insured.

The contractor must notify the Town of cancellation or change at least 30 days prior to the effective date of such cancellation or change.


$50 per location.

Bond Requirements

Prior to the issuance of a permit, the permittee must deposit with the Town a bond in the amount of $10,000. All bonds are to be in place for a period of two years. Acceptable forms of bond include individual surety bond, blanket surety bond or cash. Bonds must be signed, sealed and dated by person named on power of attorney and by the contractor.

Insurance Requirements

Commercial General Liability Insurance

Broad form commercial general liability coverage naming the Town as additional insured, written on a "per occurrence" basis with an aggregate cap no less than 3 times the require limit:

  • $1,000,000 each occurrence bodily injury to or death of all persons
  • $1,000,000 property damage covering premises and operations liability
  • $1,000,000 personal and advertising injury each occurrence
  • $1,000,000 bodily injury/property damage aggregate limit
  • $1,000,000 completed operations and products liability

Commercial Automobile Insurance

Commercial automobile insurance, which shall cover the operation of all motor vehicles, owned by the contractor. Such insurance shall also cover the hired and non-owned autos of the contractor and the amounts of such insurance shall be in the following minimum limits:

  • $1,000,000 each accident bodily injury to or death of all persons
  • $1,000,000 property damage each accident
  • $1,000,000 hired and non-owned autos
  • $1,000,000 bodily injury/property damage aggregate limit

Worker's Compensation & Employer's Liability Insurance

Contractor shall carry workmen's compensation insurance in accordance with the requirements of the laws of the State of Connecticut.

Call Before You Dig

Prior to the issuance of a permit, the permittee must provide a "Call Before You Dig" number on each individual permit application.


Call the Engineering Department 24 hours prior to construction to arrange for an inspection.