Access electronic materials on our library computers or download them to your own devices at home. All electronic resources can be accessed even when the Library is closed.
Questions? Call the Information Desk at 860-258-7623 or come in with your device! We'd be happy to demonstrate these resources for you.
Please note: A valid Rocky Hill library card number may be required for some resources.
Overdrive - Fiction and nonfiction for your e-reader or tablet
EBSCO - Books for your computer, laptop or tablet
- OneClick Digital - Books for your computer, laptop or tablet
Online test preparation - Courses and sample tests for academic and professional exams
Universal Class - Classes on 540 professional development and recreational topics
Rocket Languages - Foreign language instruction
Magazines: Full-color magazines and page turning with a simple click (or finger swipe)
Overdrive - A limited collection of downloadable videos
Ancestry - Genealogical resources (only available in the library)
Databases - Research tools organized by subject area
Children's Electronic Resources - Find eBooks on history and science topics, plus fiction
Overdrive offers downloadable audiobooks, e-books and videos for a wide variety of electronic devices.
To access these materials, your library card must be from a participating library in the Greater Hartford area.
See the instructions below.
Overdrive instructions for Kindle books
To download free library e-books to your Kindle, you will need a library card from a participating library in the Greater Hartford area and an account with Amazon.com.
1) Go to http://libraryconnection.lib.overdrive.com.
2) Login first with your library card, so you can take full advantage of the Rocky Hill collection.
3) To find an item that is compatible with the Kindle, click on Advanced Search, and choose the Kindle format from the drop-down menu. Then search using the title, author or keywords.
4) Check the status of the item: if the item is available, click on “Borrow.” Then click on “Download” to choose your device or “Read” to view.
Note: If the item is not available, you may place a hold instead. (When it becomes available, we will email you with instructions. You will have 2 days to check it out, before it goes to the next person on the hold list.)
5) You will be automatically re-directed to www.amazon.com after clicking on “Download.”
3) In amazon.com, click on the yellow “Get library book” button. Sign into your amazon.com account, using your email address and password. (If you do not have an Amazon account, you can create one.)
4) Transfer items to your Kindle:
i) via wi-fi OR
ii) by downloading via your USB connection.
Note: If downloading, you will need to click on the “Deliver to” dropdown menu and choose “Transfer via computer.” Then follow the screen prompts to save the file to your desktop. Finally, right-click on the desktop file and choose, “Send to Kindle.”
5) Delete books or return them early by using the “Manage Your Content and Devices” link at amazon.com.
Overdrive instructions for audiobooks, videos and ALL other eReaders (except Kindle):
1) Before you choose an item, you must install and activate the software. Audiobooks require Overdrive Media Console; E-books requireOverdrive Media Console and Adobe Digital Editions (for EPUB format); Videos require Overdrive Media Console and Windows Media Player Security upgrade. These sites also explain if additional software is required for your particular device.
2) After the software is downloaded, go to http://libraryconnection.lib.overdrive.com.
3) Login first with your library card, so you can take full advantage of the Rocky Hill collection.
4) Search the catalog, using the title, author or keywords (and format, if desired).
5) When you find the item, click on “Borrow.”
6) Download the item. (For e-books, you may choose to “Download” the item or “Read” in your browser.)
Note: If the title is checked out to someone else, you may place a hold. When the item becomes available, we will email you with instructions. You will have 2 days to check out, before the item goes to the next person on the hold list.
7) After downloading, audiobooks can be transferred to a portable device, by opening OverDrive, selecting the title, and clicking on Transfer.